Bed and Breakfast
Ithaca, New York
Frog's Way is a
bright, spacious earth-friendly B&B on 174 acres of land with a pond, miles of trails,
and spectacular views.
Located just two miles from downtown
Ithaca, we are part of a world renowned cooperative ecological community, EcoVillage at
Our trails, through meadows, woods, wetlands and organic
farmlands, are perfect for hiking, running and skiing. Our pond, just two minutes from the
B&B, is great for swimming and skating . We are just minutes away from the rich
natural wonders and cultural and educational resources of the Ithaca
We also rent out the whole house, the
upper floors or the separate lower floor, for up to 10 days at a time, for vacations,
special events, and retreats
Frog's Way has 2
bright and cheerful South-facing rooms available for use, which are accessed through a
separate entrance, and which share a full bathroom and a full-service kitchenette.
Each room is naturally cool in summer
and has a queen size bed, phone and high speed internet
Click Here to Check on Room Availability
||Guests eat a healthy breakfast at
their own time and pace, in the B&B kitchenette, which is stocked with organic, local,
and home-made foods, and includes refrigerator, microwave, double hot plate, toaster oven,
toaster, coffee maker, utensils and condiments for your convenience.
Green Features About Our Bed and Breakfast
So what’s so green and sustainable about our B&B? A whole lot, and we keep finding new ways to demonstrate that green living can be affordable, beautiful, comfortable, and good for all people and species.
Frog’s Way is built with nine kinds of local woods; super-insulated walls; double-pane, south facing windows for maximum solar heating and lighting; and nontoxic stains and paints. We decorate with photos and paintings of local scenes by local artists, with flowers and seedpods gathered on our land, and with home-made quilts on the beds.
Our super efficient natural gas boilers send hot water through radiant heating floors. Our electricity is provided primarily by solar panels, our programmable thermostats keep energy use down, and we keep appliances unplugged and lights off as much as possible. We recycle and compost and provide nontoxic soaps, shampoos, cleaning supplies, tissues, and toilet paper. We provide cloth napkins and washcloths and avoid daily changes of sheets or towels.
We are located in one of three, co-housing neighborhoods demonstrating cooperative, inter-generational living, with no car traffic between the houses. These neighborhoods are part of an ecovillage, which is part of a global network of communities striving to “live well and lightly together”, and ensure a positive future for all life.
We provide 175 acres of land with trails, woods, ponds, farms, wetlands and meadows for recreation and renewal; a library in each bedroom with books and magazines on sustainability, community, natural health, and cultural and natural history of our region; easy access to Ecovillage tours, meals, events, and common house buildings; and encouragement to experience our neighbors in the village by helping out with cooking, food harvesting, or meal cleanup.
We keep our rates affordable, pay at least a living wage to all people who work with us, and purchase products made by companies that minimize harm to people, animals, and ecosystems .
We provide mostly local, organic, vegetarian foods for breakfasts, many of them home grown and prepared. Our kitchenette facilities help keep your eating costs low and reduce the need to travel just for food. You can pick berries right outside the B&B and wild on the land; learn about farming by helping out on our 2 on-site farms; and eat inexpensive, organic, local food meals in our 2 community common houses on most week nights.
We hope your stay with us is a pleasant way to experience and try lifestyle changes that work for greater personal and planetary health, cost and energy savings, community, and a high quality of life.
~ Things To See and Do in Ithaca
- Cornell University, just 15 minutes from Frog's Way
- Ithaca Farmer's Market, just 10 minutes from Frog's Way
- Cayuga Lake, just 10 minutes from Frog's Way
- Tour the Finger Lakes
- Ithaca College, just 15 minutes away from Frog'sWay
- Ithaca Falls, just 15 minutes from Frog's Way
- Robert H. Treman State Park
- Galleries and Museums
- Cayuga Lake wineries
- Tours, Lectures & Workshops
We are just
minutes away from the rich natural wonders and cultural and educational resources of the
Rates and Policies
- Our room fee is $95 a night per room for double occupancy, plus 3% tax. We add $5 a night surcharge per room to support the work of the non-profit education programs at EcoVillage. Please call for weekly and house rental rates. We ask for a 50% deposit in advance by check or money order, made out to Elan Shapiro and mailed to 211 Rachel Carson Way, Ithaca, NY 14850.
- Check in times 3:00 PM or later; check out before 12:00 Noon, unless prior arrangement
- Children of all ages are welcome; playgrounds are right on hand.
- Indoor smoking and pets are not permitted.
- Please remove shoes upon entering the house, to minimize dirt, mud, and gravel impacts.
- Because of the pedestrian, family-centered orientation of the neighborhood, we ask that
you do not drive in the common area.
- There are carts available by the entrance sign as you enter the neighborhood for getting
your things back and forth to your car.
- Please observe the 15-MPH speed limit on the road, a chance to change gears and savor
- Keep sound levels low after 10 PM
hosting people who come here from all over the world and hope you'll consider us when you
visit the fabulous
Finger Lakes region.