The Log House & Homestead
on Spirit Lake
Bed and Breakfast
|"History, tranquility, and an incredible
attention to detail come together in this exceptional inn," says Karen
Anderson of Minnesota Monthly in her article on The Log
House & Homestead.
"This Country Bed & Breakfast is a jewel
of a find." writes Alice Vollmar in her featured article in the Minneapolis/St.
Minnesota Historic Inn
See us in the September Issue of Country Home Magazine!
- ELEGANCE and ROMANCE are the hallmark of this unique Bed and Breakfast.
- Special amenities include in-room fireplaces and double whirlpools, beautiful linens,
down comforters, canopy beds, and unusual antiques.
- Greeting trays on bed or teacart offer welcome hospitality to be enjoyed in the comfort
of one's room.
- Private balconies or porches provide lakeside viewing or sunning in the warmer months.
- 115 acres of fields, hills and maple woods adjacent to 4,000 feet of shore afford onsite
activities in all seasons.
- Canoes, rowboats (along with parasols!) and snowshoes are furnished.
- Book shelves offer quiet respites for those who wish only to sit and enjoy the peace,
the quiet, and the spectacular views.
Two very different structures compose this little hostelry located in picturesque Otter
Tail County in the heart of Minnesotas lakes region. The county's rolling
hills and curving roads encase over 1,000 lakes (more than any other county in the US). It
is a verdant land in summer, a riot of color in autumn and pristine white in winter--a
lovely playground for any season. Watching the lake ice "go out" in spring can
THE HOMESTEAD Kristina Guest Room
THE LOG HOUSE Living Room
|THE HOMESTEAD, original to the property, was built in 1902
by Swedish immigrants Gust Fredholm and wife Kristina. TODAY, its lakeside private
entrance, all-season wicker-filled porch, central air conditioning, and three lovely
bedrooms offer quests luxury and comfort.
||THE LOG HOUSE circa 1889, across the meadow, was built by
the innkeeper's great-great-grandfather Peter Jensen and his wife Anna. It was moved
intact 80 miles from northern Minnesota and now rests on a knoll overlooking Spirit Lake.
GIFT CERTIFICATE for those special people in
your life for their special times.
DINNERS, PICNICS and ROSES available upon request.
Recipe Collection now ready for purchase.
- BREAKFAST is meant to be an experience.
- This bountiful meal occurs in front of the fire or on the screen porch at the Log House.
At The Homestead, service is in-room on linen-dressed teacarts, while the Suite has a
private breakfast room. Fresh-squeezed orange juice and fresh-ground coffee are "de
rigueur". See our recipes for examples of main dishes paired with local sausage and
fresh fruit. All breads and sweets are fresh from the oven!
- WHAT TO DO?
- Guests are free to roam our property: hike the Marshall Trail through the woods, stroll
the Prairie loop over the hills and fields and savor the vista from Carl's hilltop. Our
boats and canoes (gratis) offer lovely and serene boat rides (Battenburg lace parasols
included). In the winter one can cross-country ski the lake and hills (one needs one's own
equipment) or try out the furnished showshoes.
- THE INN
- The Inn began on a whim by the parents of the present owners. They opened the doors of
the Log House in June of 1990, having recently retired from the foreign service in Africa.
Within a few years, guest demand justified expansion to the Homestead; and what had been a
seasonal enterprise, quickly grew to a year-round operation. In 1998 they put themselves
"out to pasture" and turned the reins over to their two daughters. Suzanne
Tweten lives and thrives on the property with her two opinionated cats and is the primary
owner. Her sister, Patrice Allen, works on-site 5 months of the year and manages the books
from St. Louis with her understanding husband Mark the remainder of the year.
Loghouse & Homestead on Spirit Lake is a member of the following
Minnesota Bed & Breakfast Guild
Otter Tail County Bed & Breakfast Association
Professional Association of Innkeepers International
Log House & Homestead on Spirit Lake
P.O. Box 130
Vergas, MN 56587
(218) 342-2318; (800) 342-2318
Innkeepers: Suzanne Tweten and Patrice Allen
Hits Since 11/1/00